Tuesday, December 6, 2016

We Used to Hunt Rats There

Buddy Baker, 92, remembers Jay's Garage very well.  "It was where BiLo is now.  Jay's dad owned all of that land all the way to Gay Street - that area where Parkview Gardens is now.  That creek between BiLo and Parkview Gardens - it was an open sewer back when I was a kid.  We used to go down there and hunt rats for fun.

"He was a fine fellow.  He did a lot of mechanic work for me.  My son, Bob (Baker), worked for him until Jay died, then his wife sold the land and the garage.

"He had a cat in the shop that would climb a step ladder clear to the top and would sit up there and watch everything that was going on.  He had his garage there when I was young.  He built it before I was driving."


Jay was Jay Eller.  

He died in 1974. He was so young but he had heart trouble.


And the building sold in 1976






1 comment:

  1. Vivian and Jay were such nice people. Thanks for the posting Peggy.

    ReplyDelete