Friday, August 28, 2015

Help Harold Remember Madelyn's Pavilion!!!

Hello Everyone!!! We got a letter today and I would like to share it with you and see if anyone has ever heard of the place in question. It's a great memory from Harold G. who is trying to write his memoirs and wants to make sure he gets it right... Please, help us help him???
"Dear JCHS,
I was stationed at Sedalia Army Air Force Base in 1944 and 1945 and was able to visit my wife often in a rented room in the home of the county attorney in Warrensburg. The bus, which I rode from the base, let me off in the middle of town. I would walk past a place called Madelyn's Pavilion to get to the county attorney's home.
Decades later my nephew was stationed at the base which became Whiteman AFB. He met and married a girl from Warrensburg named Paula S. She told me she never heard of "Madelyn's Pavilion." I don't think I just dreamed about it. It looked like it could have been a baseball park sometime in the past. On Saturday evenings, as I would pass, joyful sounds came from it. It was a place where Afro-Americans had great entertainment with music."

Does anyone have any recollection of this?
Peggy Nuckles, please ask Buddy for goodness sakes : ).
Hope we can help Harold.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry, Lisa.

    I asked Buddy and he said he doesn't remember a place called Madelyn's Pavilion. The place may have been open for only a couple of years and Buddy was in the South Pacific then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pk... maybe someone else... I am wondering who the attorney was... that would be a good clue. Will contact him next wk for more info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wondering if it is the football field at UCM. He says it was in the middle of town, and that's close to downtown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The West End Park was developed about that time. We know it now as Blind Boone Park. Ernest C. told me how much fun he had there at dances and such, before he shipped to the Korean War. When he returned the other parks welcomed all, so that old park fell into disuse, until Sandy came along anyway. Don't know if it could be the same place or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The West End Park was developed about that time. We know it now as Blind Boone Park. Ernest C. told me how much fun he had there at dances and such, before he shipped to the Korean War. When he returned the other parks welcomed all, so that old park fell into disuse, until Sandy came along anyway. Don't know if it could be the same place or not.

    ReplyDelete